Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Handbook for explorers 12

You'll wonder, in time, if it's been worthwhile:
The search for gentians in rocky crevices
Or epiphytic orchids beneath high jungle
Canopies, where jaguars hunt; species
After species, that have to be defined,
Under a microscope or in a tube,
Listed in tables, signed and countersigned,
Reduced to figures you must square or cube
To reach conclusions, which seem to make sense.
But amid the reckoning and statistics
(Shadows on surfaces where nothing sticks),
You'll want to turn back to the present tense,
To find new co-ordinates and refrain
From doing what you did before, again.

3 Comments:

At 3:48 AM, Blogger tristan said...

hey !

thats very good !

best wishes from member 999 of your fan club

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Lori Witzel said...

My gosh -- sorry to see you've been set upon by spam-commentators.

I love these explorations, BTW -- Lucy's blog lead me to yours and I'm glad for that.

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Camellia Sunrin said...

Joe, can I ask you for a bit of professional help? I am working on a translating and have nobody around to ask about things like the name of my last translation. It seems to me somehow familiar from British literature, but there is a horrible mess in my head, I cannot be certain.
Would you be so kind to have a look in my blog, please?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home